You are here

2013 Odyssey at Nagambie

Submitted by John_Cook on Fri, 15/11/2013 - 11:53pm

Viewer Classification:

2013 Melbourne Branch Odyssey at Nagambie

We were treated to some magnificent weather for the Odyssey this year and a good size group of attendees were able to meet Kris and me at Lilydale on Friday morning and we headed off at 10.00am.

We checked out the leafy backstreets of Lilydale and some interesting historic buildings then headed north towards Lilydale Airfield where we saw a helicopter doing some hovering exercises in the gusty winds.   

On the way out of Yarra Glen we waved to the speed camera operator and at the roundabout near the new Chocolaterie we saw quite a few bikes (apparently on their way to the Moto GP) pulled up waiting for friends etc.  James (on his second or third ride with us) saw the bikes and pulled over to speak to them, I noticed this in the mirrors and presumed he may be warning them about the speed camera and continued on up the Melba.  Bill, our ever trusty tail rider did not notice him in the group and continued on.  

We turned off the Melba at Glenburn and made our way through to Strath Creek

and then north on King Parrot Creek Road

which has a lovely variety of scenery and curves plus an excessively cautious speed advisory sign recommending 20 KPH round a series of bends comfortably negotiated at 80 KPH (those signs really make no sense at all) before pulling into the resort at Trawool where we met Andy Luck of Whittlesea Branch.  We then discovered that James was missing and I was assured that members had seen him at various locations.  We were made very welcome at the resort and enjoyed coffee and some lovely scones while we tried to establish what had happened to James.

I finally made contact with him by phone just as we were leaving and established that he was way back at Yarra Glen after tying himself up with a group bound for the GP.  Directions were given and we continued on without him once satisfied that all was OK.  We turned off, went through Tallarook, joined the Hume Freeway briefly and then went up Northwood Road past Mitchelton Winery and assorted horse studs before arriving at the Resort where we were made welcome.

Once accommodation was sorted and greetings were exchanged (including James who arrived safely) we shared a few leisurely drinks on the veranda (which got quite crowded) of our cabin overlooking the Goulburn River before enjoying a group BBQ with well over 40 people attending.   I was a bit thirsty in the suddenly warm weather and there is an unfounded rumour that I may have consumed a wee bit too much liquor that evening.                      


On Saturday morning quite a few enjoyed breakfast at the on site café, overlooking the river and we then assembled for a group ride.  After some discussion it was decided that there would only be the one ride.   We headed along a rather boring transport section to Longwood before crossing the Hume and then heading into the hills and up to Ruffy.  Several members from East Gippsland were not familiar with our corner marking system but despite a couple of hiccups we managed to stay together and then descended down to Yarck for morning tea at the Giddy Goat.     

After a leisurely break and chat we headed up to Merton and then via the gap on a very good surfaced road with an interesting variety of curves, past some gigantic granite boulders (bigger than the houses they were sitting above), through Euroa and on to the Motor Museum just south of Shepparton where we examined an interesting display of old cars and bikes.   It was quite hot by this stage and a café would have been nice. 

We then trundled back down the highway to Nagambie for a view over the lake and then back to the resort and confirmed that all was in order for the evening meal.   

The Saturday night meal was again good quality and the recreation room proved itself to be a great venue.  We conducted a successful raffle and the prize pool was enhanced by a voucher donated by the park managers Kathryn and Peter who are also Ulysses members.   Dennis Tucker was our musician for the night, he provided great entertainment with many people getting up and dancing and enjoying themselves. 

During one break in the music “Bomber” from Ballarat entertained us with some poetry he had written.

It was a great night enjoyed by over 60 people including visitors from NSW, South Australia plus both rural and metropolitan areas of Victoria.   

Sunday morning again saw the café well utilised for cooked breakfasts and we then bid farewell to the many people faced with commitments on Monday morning.    Quite a few of us had the luxury of remaining and enjoyed some leisure on front porches overlooking the river and did our own things including visits to wineries nearby

and a small group of us enjoyed lunch at the pub overlooking the lake.   On Sunday evening, a group of about 10 of us enjoyed an impromptu BBQ in the camp kitchen overlooking the lake.  

On Monday we all bid our final farewells and thanked our hosts.  Kris and I had a leisurely ride home with Anita and Ron before enjoying a final coffee together in Yea before heading off our separate ways.  

Kris and I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend and would like to thank all the people who assisted in organising and those who attended thereby making it a successful event.   I will quote some of the feedback I have received.

John Cook

Hi Guys

“We enjoyed ourselves the meal was beautiful and the weather was perfect. Thank you very much”

“Thanks for an extremely well organised and fun weekend.  Paula and I really enjoyed it.  Regards,  James”

“I had a ball”

“I had a great time down in Nagambie met some good people and saw some great things and I hope to see you again next year cheers Bill (NSW)”

“I had a great weekend thank you and the rest of the gang for making us all feel so welcome. We all got home safe and would like to return next year.  Stay safe.”

“We thoroughly enjoyed the week-end, and the company of friends from the Melbourne branch.  I hope we will be back again next year.We had a good run home, although it was very windy by the time we got to Cohuna, and also quite hot (30 deg. C.).  After Cohuna the temperature kept rising and was apparently up to 37 deg. C. by the time we arrived in Mildura.  By gum, the beer tasted good when we got off the bike!”

“What a ripper of a weekend you manage to put together and the weather was just perfect.”

“I'd like to say thanks as well for you and the Melbourne Branch making me feel so welcome and the people I met made the experience even more unforgettable. Looking forward to many more rides.”

“The seven of us really enjoyed the weekend and we all agreed we will be back next year.   It was a great venue and everyone was friendly.   Thanks for your hospitality and the ride on Saturday to Shepparton which was a great ride.”

“We had a great time.  The people and location were great.   We will be there next year.

Thank you for organising and putting all that work into such a great weekend.”